I've created a list of things that I want to write about that have happened in the past 8 months since the babies arrival. I would like to be able to catch everyone up on our adjustment, our adventures, our achievements and our struggles. The first few blogs in the coming weeks will be a journal on those topics, rather than what is happening today. Now, I may add in a few things current, just so I don't forget! I'm also going to add some photos from the first few months - who doesn't love looking at how cute my kids are???
Today I want to write about some of the most helpful things that others did for us as a family in the first few months. We had a "care calendar" that was online that people signed up to come visit or bring meals or feed babies. This was a very useful tool for us. I was emailed daily to let me know who was doing what and if dinner would be delivered. I have to say we were so very lucky with so many neighbors, friends, and new friends brought us food so I didn't have to cook or worry about it. We had some people bring by groceries since making it to the store was almost impossible. Keeping fresh foods in the house was a constant struggle for a family who loves fresh fruit and vegetables.
There is a group of women in my neighborhood, along with a few other wonderful women, who came over weekly to bring dinner, as well as volunteer to hold babies while Joel and I ate dinner with the older kids as a family. Those nights were great - a hot meal and time to talk with Leah and Seth about their days! A total treat when other nights were about passing babies back and forth between each other, trying to keep them quiet and maybe eating a spoonful of something straight from the stove.
I had two friends visit us, when the babies were about 10 weeks, who stayed for two nights to help us. It could not have been more needed and appreciated. They came in, helped with dinner, breakfast, lunch, getting Leah and Seth to school, and most of all they helped us through the babies first colds. My friend, Cortney, and I stayed up all night taking turns with steaming up the bathroom, taking a baby in there, bulbing out noses and keeping them upright so they could breathe. This was a far cry from our all nighters in college! It was a hard couple days and their stay could not have come at a better time. Wendy, my other friend, slept on my couch with a baby on top of her, keeping her warm and cozy. The second night, they gave us the most precious gift that anyone can give to a mom and dad of triplets. They sent us to bed about 10:00 and let us sleep until at least 7:00 am. To both of my friends, THANK YOU!!! It still is one of the brightest memories of the first three months of their birth.
So many people did so much. I am just now starting to buy diapers - so for those of you who gave me diapers at my baby shower, or dropped some off after their births - it has saved me from running to the store every couple days! I know I am forgetting things that people have done, so I hope I haven't offended anyone by failing to mention it, but trust me, every helping hand along the way has made it possible for us to make it this far without too many overwhelming days.




No comments:
Post a Comment