I sit here on January 13th wondering where the last month has gone! But then I look in my arms and I am holding the baby...meaning Emmy, who was the last of the 3 to arrive. What a whirlwind! And what’s the most important to share in this moment I have to write....let's give it a try...
As many of you know, the amnio did not give us good results on Dec 16. All 3 babies showed that they were not even close to a healthy lung maturity. It was a stressful long day with lots of decisions to make and we had to make them quickly. At 10:30 pm, the night before we were scheduled for a c-section, we decided to hold off from delivery and to do two rounds of steroid shots. To do the shots, I would have to be admitted to the hospital in the high risk pregnancy unit.
So, the morning of the 17th, we went to the hospital and I made myself at home. I was quickly told that I was no longer to get out of bed unless I had to use the bathroom. I was put on a high calorie diabetic diet. My blood sugars were closely monitored. And the shots began at 12 noon. I saw my OB doctor. I saw my diabetic doctor. I saw nurses who took blood. I saw nurses who just wanted to see the mother who was at 35 weeks, 5 days with triplets. I saw nurses who wanted to listen to the babies hearts. You name it, I saw it. I was told that I was not leaving until after we had the girls. I was to be there at least a week.
My big kids came to visit. They made signs for my room. They snuggled with me in the hospital bed. They even had chocolate milk provided by the staff. The best part for the kids was taking mommy on wheelchair rides. I was allowed 30 minutes outside the room each day. They did not understand that I wasn't coming home. Seth thinks I was there to sleep. When we told them that I couldn't come home and there were tears all around.
I sat there, in that room, eating and having nurses check on me every 10 minutes until Monday morning, Dec 20. I had been scheduled for a 9:30 c-section. We prayed that the steriod shots had matured their lungs. We prayed that it would go as planned. I prayed that the spinal would work. We prayed that we would be able to figure out which baby was which as they were delivered. And then we went into the OR. Ready or not, it was GO time.
The spinal worked. Joel came in. There was a flurry of people. At least 20. Dr. Brown started. Time was in slow motion. Joel talked me through it. Then...after 35 minutes in the OR, I heard…"Oh my...I have never seen that done before...that baby is still in its sack...she is still in her sack...Joel...look at this..." Allyson Mae was delivered in her sack at 10:13 am. Joel says it looked like she was in a clear bubble trying to kick her way out. They opened her sack and she started screaming. Next to arrive, Elizabeth Brooke at 10:15 am. She let out a big cry. And in less than one more minute, Emerson Gail arrived at 10:16 am. She was crying as well. They showed me all babies and whisked them away. Two of them went to the OR beside us to be examined. One of them was in with us. Joel went to see all three. He came back with a full report.
Allyson Mae - 5 lbs even
Elizabeth Brooke - 4 lbs 13 oz
Emerson Gail - 5 lbs 1 oz
And a few minutes later, the NICU nurse came in and looked at Joel. Her words, "All three babies are perfect. We see no reason for them to come to the NICU. They will be in the general nursery. Congratulations, Dad. We never see this happen."
The rest is a blur. I remember being wheeled by the nursery and seeing the babies. I remember being set up in one room and then moving to another because we needed a bigger room with all the babies. I recall Leah and Seth meeting Ally, Emmy and Izzy and seeing the amazement on their faces. They held them. They kissed them. All was right in our world on Dec 20th 2010.
As many of you know, the story does not end there for our hospital stay. I don't want to bore with details, but here is the short version. I got really sick Tuesday the 21st. The OB drs. didn't have a clue. I could not keep anything down. It was more than likely a reaction to all the medicines. I was unable to see my babies for 72 hours. I did not see my big kids. I don't remember much. To top it off, the babies were all sent to NICU to help them maintain the right temperature. They remained in NICU for 6 hours. Then went to progressive care for the remainder of their stay. After 3 days, I finally got better, but was very weak. I was able to come home Christmas Day. I missed Christmas morning with the big kids, but it all worked out.
All three girls were sent home on December 27th. It was quite the event leaving the hospital with three newborns. Paperwork alone took at least 30 minutes. All three stayed quiet on the ride home. They seem to enjoy the car. It was wonderful to be at home, with all 5 kids and prepare for the next steps. And with that, I need to go for the night. I hope to write more in the coming weeks about this phase...the adjustment phase for all of us. I hope that this answers some questions that you have all had about the births of Allyson, Elizabeth and Emerson. They are the blessing we all dreamed of for months. Thank you all for your prayers. They were answered.
3 comments:
You are amazing, Leslie! Can't wait to meet them!
Beautiful post Leslie! We love you guys!
Congratulations Leslie! I met you at Child and Family Development and have checked the blog to hear the news. What an amazing story, so glad everyone is doing well.
Post a Comment