Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Sandock: Party of 7

Joel and I were married in September 2001, after dating about 20 months. We welcomed our first child in July 2004, Leah Jordan Sandock. She is our blue eyed, blond hair, determined first born. We welcomed our second child in May of 2007, Seth Turner Sandock. He is our brown haired, brown eyed funny little boy. Joel and I had decided that our family did not feel complete, and wanted a third child. We found out I was pregnant this past Mother's day, May 9, 2010. I went to the doctors office, confirmed my pregnancy and had a due date of Jan 16, 2011. At my 10 week appointment, we heard 1 heartbeat, going strong at 158 bpm. At my 14 week appointment, we heard that same heartbeat going strong. I mentioned to my OB that I thought I was big for 14 weeks and she said, "you are measuring just fine, it is your third child and everything gets big faster." She sent me on my way.


At my next appointment, we scheduled an ultrasound, typical for 18 weeks. I stretched out in the chair, Joel holding one hand and all eyes on the monitor. The tech, April, turned on the machine. We immediately saw two heads. "oh my..." I said "its twins...we are having twins..." April quickly heard the shock in my voice and turned the monitor where Joel and I could not see. Then after about 20 seconds, she turned it off. She took my hand, and said, "there are 3." With those words, our lives have changed forever. There are 3. I told her she was wrong. I mean, it doesn't run in the family, we have never used infertility drugs, and this just doesn't happen randomly. Right?????


After about 10 minutes of panic, I calmed down and we started looking at the babies. All are girls and all are healthy. Baby A (on my left side) looks great. She is 10 oz and is head down. Baby B (in the middle) is 9 oz and is kicking baby A in the head. She has some fluid in her kidneys, but they have told us not to worry, that this is common in babies and often corrects itself before birth. They will check on this at each ultrasound. Baby C (on my right side) is 9 oz and also look great. Each baby has its own sac and placenta. Each is measuring 2 days ahead of schedule.

 
After several days of letting this sink in and sharing this amazing news with family and friends, I can not imagine not having all three. It feels right. It feels like we were given this chance, all of us: Joel, Leah, Seth and I, to be an amazing family. And not just us, but all of you, who are reading this now, get to share our little blessings.


Our next ultrasound in Sept 9. It will be an hour and a half, so I am expecting some great pictures. And also expecting to share more good news about their growth and development.


I will attempt to write and put photos up of all of us during this journey. I hope you enjoy following and keeping up with the now party of 7.

No comments: