Monday, June 25, 2012

Its the Little Things...

Since I returned to blogging last summer, I realized that I don't always share the little things about life with five kids.  Some good, some bad, some indifferent.  I was thinking earlier today that I needed to post these things, not only for some of you to laugh or to smile, but also so that I could keep track of them myself.  Its also kind of an "update" on where we are today with each child.  With so much going on daily, its easy to not stop and recognize all the little things...




Here it goes:
Its really rewarding to see any of my kids achieve something for the first time.  Ally recently mastered putting a piece of "mail" in the little people mail truck and makes it play a song.  All 3 stop and dance to the song when she gets it to play, so very cute.  Any new skill acquired, big or small, makes a parent smile. 


The triplets love to pull hair.  Just ask any of us, including Joel and Seth.  And it hurts.  And they laugh as they walk away.  So not cool.


Izzy refuses to eat in a high chair if I am here.  They only way she eats is if I sit and put her in my lap.  I think its her way of telling me that I should take a break and eat with them. 


Leah and Seth love to put on plays (or "shows") for us.  Not only is it so very entertaining to watch them sing, dance and act, it gives me a good glimpse of where their imaginations go.  The other night, the performance was "The Knight and The Dragon".  Seth, the knight, fought off bad people.  When that didn't work, he called in the dragon, played by Leah.  In the middle of the play, they did a little song and dance.  Very creative.  And just think, they do this almost every day with a different story line.  I am so not that imaginative anymore.


Yes, the triplets all cry at the same time.  When Emmy freaks out, she has this high pitch scream that hurts every one's ears.  So when she does this, Izzy screams.  Once both of them are crying, Ally runs over to see what the fuss is, and always seems to choose that moment to fall and hurt herself.  This is a daily occurrence.  So when you see me, and they are all quietly sucking their pacis, just know it isn't always that peaceful.


Its really neat to watch the triplets really start to interact.  They are chasing each other, high fiving each other, and talking in their baby talk making each other laugh.  They give eachother kisses.  Its amazing to have this to watch every day.


Ally is the "getter."  She does really well finding every one's drinks, blankets and paci's when they need them.  She also loves to carry diapers to the trash can :)  Its nice to have a little helper!  She walks, runs and loves to chase Seth.  The two of them together are trouble!  He calls her the Ally Monster and she runs after him with her arms out in front.  Adorable that they love each other so much. 


Emmy is laid back.  At the pool, she will just sit and splash on the top stair.  The other two, think they are 5 and can already swim.  Its great that Emmy would rather just sit and observe before making up her mind to do something.  Emmy is just now walking.  She has great words, both signing and verbally.  She is patient.  Now, she steals a paci faster than any of the others, so don't let her fool you!


Izzy is my over attached, mommy must always be holding me, and I am going to test her every second just to be sure she's watching child.  She LOVES to dance and listen to music.  Her way of getting what she wants is to scream.  And loud.  She walks most of the time, unless she is clinging on to my leg.  She watches the other 4 and notices every move they make.  If they are trying something, she wants to be apart of the action.  Just be sure mommy is right there watching.  Now, if I am not here, she doesn't cry for her caretaker.  As soon as I walk in, she is at my feet demanding to be picked up. 


Seth is really funny.  Sometimes you wonder where he gets things. He has been asking a million questions lately about everything.  He also has had more energy than the rest of us combined.  No matter what, at the end of the day, as he settles into bed, he says, "mommy, can I have one more hug and kiss?"  And then tops it off with, "I love you mommy."  Not much can beat those words coming from your child.


Leah is very analytical.  She thinks things through.  If it doesn't make sense, she asks questions until it does make sense.  She loves to write.  She writes book after book.  Some simple with drawings so the babies can learn new vocabulary.  Some for Seth about cars or dinosaurs.  And then there are the books she writes with real story lines and a plot.  Her creative juices must flow all the time.  Her teacher this year sent me a note stating that he thinks she will be published someday.  She is becoming such a smart, talented, and thoughtful young lady.  We have really noticed her maturity over the last 6 months.  Her smile can make us all smile. 


Although some days I am so happy that I will never have to repeat, usually because of all the crying, whining, climbing, and just plain unhappy children, I stop and remind myself that I am so fortunate that these children are healthy enough to cry.  They are healthy enough to climb.  They are healthy enough to know how to express themselves.  And for that, I am grateful.  Still happy that the day is done, but grateful for health of all five. 


Its the little things that get me through...the glance from Leah letting me know she's happy to be helping...the laugh from Seth when something doesn't go right which makes me laugh instead of cry...the babies playing peek a boo with each other...the sound of baby feet chasing me in the kitchen while I scurry to fix lunch.  I don't want to forget how amazing the day can be when the moment is so hard. 

We move to PA on Saturday.  I'm in the final stages of getting things ready.  The movers are packing us, so I am just organizing.  I will try to write once we are settled in a bit.  Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers as we go forward with this next phase in our journey as the party of seven. 

No comments: